2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 May 2006 02:28:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RAB Rule is a Milestone

The publication of the final rule on Defense Department Restoration Advisory Boards (RABs) in the May 12, 2006 Federal Register marks a milestone in this decade-old endeavor. As a member of the Federal Facilities Environmental Restoration Advisory Committee, as well as subsequent activities, I was one of the architects of the RAB system, and I view it as an enormous success.

With 310 RABs in place as of September 30, 2004, this is an unprecedented experiment in public participation in technical decision-making. To be sure, there have been failures. There are Boards where community interest is limited. There are still RABs that do little more than rubber-stamp official ideas, as well as RABs whose advice is routinely ignored. But in most cases RABs have improved opportunities for the neighbors of present and former military bases to influence decisions about investigation and remediation.

The Defense Department and its environmental regulators are required to listen to communities, but they are not mandated to heed their advice. The Center for Public Environmental Oversight's efforts over the past ten years have been dedicated to strengthening communities' ability to affect decisions, both by helping RAB participants frame their suggestions in ways that decision-makers can react positively, and by helping them organize when officials reject sound community advice.

The final RAB Rule means business as usual. Though the Defense Department made a number of small changes in response to comments, in most cases it simply said that the RAB program was flexible enough to accommodate what the commenters suggested. In fact, I believe it's the flexibility of the RAB system that has made it work so well in so many diverse places.

However, in some instances, the Department rejected what I consider constructive comments. Most important, it failed to guarantee continuation of RABs when cleanup responsibility is transferred to other entities. In the rule's preamble (p. 27614), the Department explained, "Several commenters requested that RABs not be adjourned when the installation is transferred or cleanup privatized. The Department believes that it may be impractical for DoD to continue to operate RABs at former installations that have been transferred out of DoD control and restoration responsibilities assumed by the transferee. In such cases, after inviting input from the community and consulting with EPA (at NPL sites) and State officials, DoD will endeavor to arrange to have the transferee provide an appropriate means for the public to review and comment upon post-transfer restoration response decisions."

I had suggested, in my comments on the proposed rule, "that any such privatization mechanism contain contractual requirements for continuing public involvement." But the Department rejected a mandatory approach. RABs that wish to continue after transfer may have to take political action - even opposing early transfer proposals and other forms of privatization - to retain their influence. RABs generally help with cleanup and reuse, so property transfer shouldn't put them out of business.

Lenny