2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Dec 2006 16:15:57 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Whittaker-Bermite UXO cleanup, CA

Ordnance cleanup to start soon

BY ALEX DOBUZINSKIS
LA Daily News
December 13, 2006

VALENCIA - Clearance of unexploded ordnance soon will start on the Whittaker-Bermite property, as cleanup of the former weapons manufacturing site continues to ready it for eventual development.

"I expect we'll find an odd item here and there, but I don't believe we'll find a large quantity" of ordnance, said John Naginis, a geologist with the state Department of Toxic Substances Control.

Naginis was speaking Tuesday at a community meeting to provide an update on cleanup of the 996-acre Whittaker-Bermite site, which is located in the center of Santa Clarita.

Officials think only 20 acres to 30 acres of the property could hold unexploded ordnance, but if they find indications the problem is more widespread, they'll expand their clearance sweep.

http://www.dailynews.com/santaclarita/ci_4835312

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org