2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 22 Jun 2007 07:26:54 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Runkle Canyon and Rocketdyne (CA)

The Radiation Rangers
Developers of Simi Valley's Runkle Canyon claim the water tested clean. Then a band of citizens discovered super-toxic goo seeping from the ground

By MICHAEL COLLINS
Los Angeles City Beat
June 21, 2007

he sweating point man leads a small group up the dusty inclines of Runkle Canyon. This undeveloped swath of chaparral near the town of Simi Valley is where KB Homes hopes to build 461 residences. The unforgiving sun blazes as Terry Matheney heads toward the same creek water that he had already warned the city was suspiciously shiny, with an oily sheen that should be tested for toxins. He volunteered to take them there.

The city declined, saying the developer had already done tests on the surface water in 2003, examining one sample on the 1,595 acre property. So, one week before this day's march, Matheney went to collect the gooey fluid himself. He was in for a big surprise.

"I was filling these plastic bottles when my chemical gloves started bubbling," says Matheney. "I couldn't believe it! I thought it's obviously eating its way through my gloves so I just tore them right off of me because it looked like it was permeating the rubber!"

Serious as it is, the story sets off gales of laughter. Matheney's a genial sort, a creature of these dry and dusty dells about 35 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles where he hikes with his dog Jake. He works at AeroVironment in Simi Valley, a defense contractor that tricks out spy planes with names like Hawk Eye, Switchblade, and the Global Observer.

But the man is angry. He thinks there's something obviously wrong with Runkle Canyon. It is, after all, next to the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL), otherwise known as Rocketdyne, site of innumerable rocket tests and the worst nuclear meltdown in American history, spewing radiation from the unconfined Sodium Reactor Experiment the night then-Vice President Nixon squared off against ex-Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev in the famous Kitchen Debate in 1959. The effects of that meltdown would be felt decades later.

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=5703&IssueNum=211