2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:42:42 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Ordnance in New York harbor

Sailor Remembers the Rockets and Bombs that Sunk in Gravesend Bay
City-Planned Dredging Could Disturb Explosive Graveyard

By Ryan Thompson
Brooklyn Daily Eagle (NY)
January 22, 2008

GRAVESEND BAY - After spending several days carefully loading over 200
tons of ammunition and explosives onto a barge, a U.S. Navy crew just
had to watch it all sink away.

In actuality, most didn't watch at all on that day in March 1954. With
obvious exception to the eight sailors who fell overboard with the
rockets and bombs, most of the aircraft carrier's crew were not even
aware that the explosive cargo had sunk.

"I didn't know it capsized until I read about it in the local newspaper
a week ago," said Petty Officer Louis Hodgson, who was in charge of
unloading all of the munitions off the USS Bennington onto that barge
that day. "They don't tell us anything."

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=27&id=17987