2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:59:39 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE - "CSWAB Wants Better Cleanup at Badger [WI] before Transfer"

 From Laura Olah info@cswab.org

PRESS RELEASE
Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger
February 11, 2008

CSWAB Wants Better Cleanup at Badger before Transfer

In written comments submitted today, Citizens for Safe Water Around
Badger (CSWAB) is challenging the U.S. Army and the Wisconsin DNR to
require additional environmental cleanup at the closing Badger Army
Ammunition Plant before portions of the property are transferred to the
State.

"For the majority of contaminated sites at Badger, the WDNR and the Army
are not looking at potential risks to wildlife or risks to humans
through the food chain," said Laura Olah, Executive Director of CSWAB.
"Our goal is to assure that agricultural research, wildlife and
grassland bird habitat, managed grazing, and other planned future uses
are successful."

The group found that additional steps are needed to eliminate certain
contaminant sources, such as wood preservatives, paints, pesticides, and
road oil, as potential ecological and environmental health concerns.
"Certain contaminants such as DDT, PCBs, and mercury are persistent
bioaccumulative toxins that may have long term implications for the
local ecology and human health," Olah said.

In anticipation of transfer of portions of the closing base to new
owners, the Army has invited public comment on documents that describe
the environmental condition of the property. Known as the Finding of
Suitability for Transfer, the document discusses lead, asbestos,
explosives, and other environmental toxins that may be present at the
plant.

The Army report says that there is no further environmental cleanup
necessary on about 1,188 of the roughly 1,800 acres that the WDNR will
soon own. The area extends from the northeast corner of the plant from
Devil's Lake State Park south to the Dairy Forage Research Center.

  "Our understanding of the potential harm caused by exposure to
environmental toxins is much different than years ago – now we know
better," Olah added. "By accomplishing the best possible cleanup now, we
assure that future generations enjoy a safe, healthy, and productive
future."

A complete copy of CSWAB's comments is available on their website at
www.cswab.org. Community members will have until Feb. 15 to offer their
comments on Army documents.

END
--