2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:25:12 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CONTRACTORS, COMMUNITY: Raytheon TCE spill in St. Petersburg (FL)

[Raytheon is blaming the Defense Department for its exclusion of cameras from a public meeting on its property. - LS]

Pinellas Homeowners Want Answers From Raytheon

By CARLOS MONCADA and MARK DOUGLAS
The Tampa Tribune and News Channel 8 (FL)
May 29, 2008

ST. PETERSBURG - Since finding out that her irrigation well is contaminated, Elizabeth West worries whether she will be able to sell her home of nine years.

"It feels like I'm holding the bag, so to speak," said West, who received a contamination notice from state environmental regulators Wednesday. "Because I don't think anybody's going to buy the house right now. We were planning on selling, but we can't do that until something is done about that."

Raytheon officials initially said they would not allow news organizations to bring cameras to the meeting. After News Channel 8 raised objections with state officials, however, Kevin Ramundo, the company's vice president of communications, said today that Raytheon was referring to still and video cameras brought in by members of the public, not the news media.

"The reason, quite simply, is that as a Department of Defense contractor, we are under some very specific guidelines in terms of how devices of that type can be brought into the facility," he said. "It's not that it's terribly onerous, but if you think about 400, 500, 600, 700 people or however many we may end up with, that would be completely impractical."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/may/29/pinellas-homeowners-want-answers-raytheon/