2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:47:17 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT: Arizona Military Installation Fund

Task force gets input to keep military facilities in Arizona

BY JAMES GILBERT
YUMA SUN (AZ)
December 9, 2008

Local input was sought Tuesday night on revising the rules of a program to ensure long-term retention of the military facilities in Arizona and Yumans had some suggestions.

"There were some great ideas put forth by the folks here in Yuma," said Deb Sydenham, assistant deputy Director community development for the Arizona Department of Commerce. "I think that the ideas put forth, and the recommendations made, will enhance the rules and we will be making some of those changes and including them in the process."

The meeting, which was held in the Yuma County Board of Supervisors Auditorium, was to update the rules the Arizona Department of Commerce uses to administer the Military Installation Fund and the rules applicants and jurisdictions use when they want to apply to the fund.

http://www.yumasun.com/news/input_46382___article.html/arizona_facilities.html

For a focus on Luke Air Force Base, see also

AG, Peoria mayor rev up efforts to protect Luke

Your West Valley (AZ)
December 10, 2008

Attorney General Terry Goddard and Peoria Mayor Bob Barrett met with top U.S. Air Force officials at the Pentagon Tuesday to explain state and local efforts to protect Luke AFB from encroachment.

During their meeting with U.S. Air Force Secretary Michael Donley, Gen. Norton Schwartz, Air Force chief of staff, and other officials, the pair also expressed support for making Luke the future home of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

"We had a positive and productive discussion with Secretary Donley and General Schwartz," Goddard said. "In addition to briefing Air Force officials on state and local requirements put into effect to protect the base, we made it clear that Luke and its current and future missions have overwhelming support across Arizona."

For the rest of the article, see
http://www.yourwestvalley.com/news/luke_4595___article.html/county_force.html