2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:36:32 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PERCHLORATE: California to re-evaluate Public Health Goal

State reviewing standard for water contaminant found throughout IE

Jason Pesick
Contra Costa Times (CA)
December 27, 2008

State regulators have begun reviewing a drinking-water standard for a common inland contaminant.

The California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment will review the public health goal for perchlorate - an ingredient in explosives and some fertilizers - in 2009, said the office's deputy director for external and legislative affairs, said Sam Delson via e-mail.

The public health goal is the first step in setting a drinking-water standard.

Environmentalists, who complained the last public health goal of 6 parts per billion set in 2004 was too high, welcomed the news. One part per billion translates into a drop of water in an Olympic-size swimming pool.

"We're happy but really how happy we will remain depends on what number they end up with and how long it takes them to get there," said Renee Sharp, director of the nonprofit Environmental Working Group's California office.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_11320008