2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: lsiegel at cpeo.org (Lenny Siegel)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:04:34 -0800
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: Beaufort Naval Hospital (SC)

Eager eyes already focusing on Naval Hospital property

By PATRICK DONOHUE
Beaufort Gazette (SC)
January 23, 2009

Port Royal officials already are talking about possible uses for the
127-acre piece of their jurisdiction on which Naval Hospital Beaufort
now sits.

While acknowledging that the hospital's move-- if it moves at all --
likely is years away, town manager Van Willis said the town would be
foolish not to think about what could be done with the expanse of
waterfront property that could become available should the Naval
Hospital move across town to Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort.

"We want to avoid the perception that we're planning the fate of the
Naval Hospital," he said. "This is still probably five to 10 years off,
so we don't want to be too aggressive, but we'd be shortsighted not to
think about possible uses for the property. We don't want to be caught
flat-footed."

Though the town has yet to discuss what specifically they'd like to do
with the land, opening up traffic to businesses near the Naval Hospital
and improving public access to Fort Frederick, a British fort built in
1735 to protect Beaufort from Indians and Spaniards, are high
priorities, said Joe Lee, Port Royal town councilman.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local/story/683973.html

<lsiegel at cpeo.org>