2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:22:06 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REALIGNMENT: Mark Center (VA) plan criticized

Supervisor: Jobs at Mark Center -- 'One of the worst decisions'

WTOP FM Radio (DC area)
March 17, 2009

ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- The decision to shift thousands of jobs to Alexandria as part of the Base Realignment and Closure plan has one Fairfax County Supervisor fuming.

"It was one of the worst decisions in recent history by the federal government," Fairfax County Supervisor Jeff McKay, D-Lee, tells WTOP.

Under the BRAC plan, about 6,400 Defense Department jobs are headed toward Alexandria's Mark Center. Originally, 7,200 jobs were expected to go to Fort Belvoir, but traffic concerns prompted officials to consider other sites. The only problem, there isn't much mass transportation at Mark Center, which is located right off Interstate 395 near Seminary Road.

"What we have done is added a couple thousand cars to I-395 during commute times, a road that can't handle any additional cars," says McKay.

For the entire story, see
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=1626235