2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] COMMUNITY: Corps still rejects Lake Ontario (NY) RAB

ENVIRONMENT: RAB still on outs

Rick Forgione
Niagara Gazette (NY)
March 22, 2009

YOUNGSTOWN - A contingent of elected officials and concerned community members finally got some answers Saturday about the former Lake Ontario Ordnance Works site.

But it wasn't exactly what they were hoping to hear.

Faced with requests to recognize the LOOW Restoration Advisory Board as a partner in the process, members of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Buffalo District said they welcomed a stronger focus on community input but new federal rules prevent groups such as RAB to serve in any official capacity.

"We are more than willing to work with this body to achieve what we need to achieve, but there are some things we just cannot do because of federal regulations," District Commander Lt. Col. Daniel Snead said. That didn't sit well with the more than 50 people in attendance, including RAB members and numerous local, county and state officials, who vowed to sponsor legislation and press federal leaders to have the Department of Defense allow RAB be recognized.

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local/local_story_081000852.html