2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:04:11 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PRESERVATION: Column - "Call in the bosses to save Hangar One" at Moffett Field (CA)

Herhold: Call in the bosses to save Hangar One

By Scott Herhold
San Jose Mercury News (CA) Columnist
June 24, 2009

All of us know there are moments in life - hopefully few - when we have to ask to speak to the boss. When an officious clerk insists on enforcing a silly rule, the boss needs to cut the nonsense.

We've reached that point now with the fate of Hangar One, the 1932 structure that once housed the Navy's giant airships at Moffett Field. It's time for the local debate to be settled in Washington, D.C. If we need to call in White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, so be it.

For years, the Navy threatened to tear down Hangar One because of environmental concerns about asbestos, lead and chemicals. Beaten back by public uproar, Navy officials now plan to strip the toxic sides of the old hangar and leave a skeleton in place.

This is, perhaps, the worst of all ideas. Can anyone imagine any other historical building in the valley being reduced to its skeleton?

For the entire column, see
http://www.mercurynews.com/columns/ci_12674281#