2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CLEANUP: Iowa Army Ammunition Plant

Progress being made in IAAP cleanup
Slowly but surely, project will be complete.

By CHRISTINIA CRIPPES
Burlington Hawk Eye (IA)

With 19,000 acres to cover and countless chemicals and munitions to weave through, the cleanup process at the Middletown Iowa Army Ammunition Plant is slow going.

One consolidated program that started in 1987 is on a 40-year time frame; the others are too recent -- each starting around 2002 -- to even hazard a guess as to a completion date.

Still, amid all the groundwater tests and metals unearthed there is a silver lining.

"The advantage we do have now is we know what we're doing; we know the contaminants, and we know the levels," said Matthew Jefferson, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency environmental engineer and EPA representative on the IAAP Restoration Advisory Board.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/Story/iaap-rab-072209