2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:59:25 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CHEMWEAPONS, FUDS: Spring Valley (DC) trenching

Corps starts new digs on AU campus

By Christopher Cottrell
American University Eagle (DC)
September 9, 2009

Trench investigations for dangerous materials are scheduled to start next week at three locations within AU, in order to investigate the whereabouts of chemicals from World War I, the project manager of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers military response program said during a meeting of the Spring Valley Restoration Advisory Board Tuesday, Sept. 8.

The Corps determined the location of these "ground scars" using aerial photographs from 1922. The Corps hopes to establish whether or not the disturbances came from the disposal of chemical munitions or laboratory glassware during World War I. In 1917, the Bureau of Mines and the Army's Chemical Warfare Service developed and tested approximately 600 gases at AU they intended to use overseas, The Eagle previously reported.

"We're going to dig into those ground disturbances and see if there is anything there related to the [AU Experiment Station]," Project Manager Todd Beckwith said.

http://www.theeagleonline.com/news/story/corps-starts-new-digs-on-au-campus