2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:41:05 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FUDS: Former Des Moines Ordnance Plant (IA)

Weather delays cleanup of Prairie Trail park site

By DAVE DOLMAGE
Des Moines Register (IA)
November 10, 2009

Crews hope to complete work by Thanksgiving

Wet, rainy weather has slowed the cleanup process at the 38-acre former landfill and sewage lagoon in Ankeny's Prairie Trail development. Crews are optimistic they'll be able to finish the project by Thanksgiving.

Brian Broderick, project manager at MWH Americas, which is doing the work, said crews have made good progress and with enough dry days they should finish on time.

"We're just getting over the hump now, we've been fighting the weather for six weeks," Broderick said during a recent tour of the site by the Ankeny City Council and park board.

The site will become Chautauqua Park, part of the 1,031-acre project on part of the former Des Moines Ordnance Plant that later was an Iowa State University research farm. The lagoon and landfill were used first by the Army as part of its munitions plant there during World War II, and later by John Deere and the city of Ankeny.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091110/NEWS/911100308/1001/NEWS