2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Steven B. Pollack" <Steve@EcoEsq.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 11:59:08 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] EPA issues Institutional Controls guide

The following is our group's public comment in opposition to the use of
institutional controls instead of treatment or removal options.

Comment by Members of the Public in Opposition to

Institutional Controls: A Guide to Planning, Implementing, Maintaining,
and Enforcing Institutional Controls at Contaminated Sites

Blue Eco Legal Council
Steven B. Pollack, Director
P.O. Box 1370
Highland Park, IL 60035
(847) 436-9566

There are two main flaws in considering institutional controls as a
viable alternative to removing harmful materials to a safer location.
First, institutional controls will almost always have a favorable cost
comparison to remedies involving treatment or removal. The typical
framework for evaluating cost-effectiveness such as employed in CERCLA
usually overstates the cost advantage of long-term remedies like
institutional controls because the net present value of expenditures
made years out is depreciated to near zero today. By contrast, large
expenditures in the present for remedies like treatment or removal do
not enjoy much depreciation.  Net present value comparisons therefore
make long drawn out expenditures such as institutional controls look
cheaper than they actually are. The way to fix this flaw would be to not
depreciate the long-term expenditures by net present value calculations.
This makes sense because the future cost of an expenditure will go up by
the rate of inflation and is therefore as expensive tomorrow as it is
today. The entire lifetime expenditure for institutional controls should
be compared to the costs of treatment and removal remedies in present
dollars.

Furthermore, the typical framework for evaluating cost effectiveness
will understate the cost of institutional controls by ignoring the value
of a lost natural resource.  Institutional controls typically remove a
valuable natural resource from use by the owners, the United States
public. The cost to the public of losing unfettered access to
groundwater or beach use is never considered as an actual cost in dollar
terms whereas the cash cost of treatment or removal is assessed. Damage
to natural resources can be analyzed in dollar terms and should be
assessed as an additional cost associated with institutional controls
when the natural resource is a public resource.

The second flaw in considering institutional controls a viable
alternative to treatment or removal is that it creates a self-fulfilling
prophecy. New methods of treatment technologies will only get developed
if the polluter has no other alternative but to develop them. To allow a
polluter to say there is no feasible cleanup technology and therefore
institutional controls are a viable alternative is to allow the polluter
off the hook for developing a feasible cleanup technology in the first
place.

Nowhere is this more apparent than with the Department of Defense and
underwater munitions.  The DoD actively ignores available cleanup
technology developed by Underwater Ordnance Recovery Inc for the safe
removal of underwater unexploded ordnance. It lies to stakeholders that
there is no technology for doing this kind of work and then defends
inaction and institutional controls by saying it is too dangerous to
send divers down to remove the munitions. This is what the DoD did at
Fort Sheridan in Illinois when the Lake County Forest Preserve chose to
close the beach to public use because of munitions in the water. This is
what the DoD did at the Erie Army Depot where munitions are rolling up
the shallow nearshore zone and limiting unfettered use by riparian
property owners. Instead of using this viable cleanup technology the DoD
hides behind institutional controls that remove valuable natural
resources from the public. If institutional controls were not available
(and US EPA had the courage to uphold CERCLA, RCRA, and the Military
Munitions Rule standards against DoD) then DoD would have no alternative
but to develop and apply this technology.

For these reasons, institutional controls are not in the public interest
in that they allow polluters to avoid developing viable technology for
treatment and removal. And to the degree institutional controls are
analyzed for cost effectiveness against developed technologies, the
federal laws need to be changed to compare all costs in current dollars
and to require damages to natural resources be assessed as a cost of
institutional controls.