2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 07:57:00 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS, ENERGY: "Funding for Kahoolawe [HI] commission running out"

Funding for Kahoolawe commission running out

By Ben Gutierrez
Hawaii News Now
June 14, 2013

WAILUKU, MAUI () - The Kahoolawe Island Reserve Commission has approved a $2.9 million dollar budget for the coming fiscal year. But the money is coming from a trust fund that's quickly running dry.

Kahoolawe had been used for military exercises for more than 50 years. A $44 million trust fund was established when the federal government returned the island to the state, with the money going to the clean unexploded ordnance from the island, and for the commission's work.

"Manage the island, to continue the restoration work on the island, to bring people to Kahoolawe to experience Kahoolawe," said commission executive director Michael Naho'opi'i. "We feel this (budget) is as low as we can go and still accomplish all those tasks."

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/22589705/funding-for-kahoolawe- commission-running-out