2015 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 18:06:14 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] HERBICIDES: "Pittsburgh area Air Force reservists may get help for Agent Orange exposure"

Pittsburgh area Air Force reservists may get help for Agent Orange exposure

By Torsten Ove
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (PA)
March 1, 2015

Michael Silverman remembers the smell.

“The first time I got on one of those planes I said, ‘What stinks?’ ” he said. “They said this plane was used to spray Agent Orange. Everybody smelled it. It was kind of a sweet smell. It was unmistakable.”

That was in 1975 when Mr. Silverman, 69, of Fox Chapel, a former Vietnam B-52 navigator and retired lieutenant colonel in the Air Force Reserves, began flying C-123 Provider military cargo planes assigned to the 911th Airlift Wing at Pittsburgh International Airport.

The air base had 16 of the lumbering behemoths from 1972 to 1982, five of which had been used in Vietnam to spray Agent Orange defoliant as part of what the military called Operation Ranch Hand.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/2015/03/01/Pittsburgh-area-Air-Force-reservists-may-get-help-for-Agent-Orange-exposure/stories/201503010099

278-A Hope Street