2017 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:43:33 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FORMER SITES, FUEL: Haines Pipeline pump station, Delta Junction, AK

After Cleanup at Old Fuel-pipeline Facility, Agency to Monitor Leftover Contamination

By TIM ELLIS
KUAC (Fairbanks, AK)
October  6, 2017

An Army Corps of Engineers contractor completed cleanup work last week at an old pump station near Delta Junction that was part of a pipeline the military used decades ago to transport gasoline, diesel and aviation fuel from Haines to bases in the Interior.

Anchorage-based Bristol Environmental Remediation Services removed 15,000 tons of fuel-contaminated soil from the old Timber Pump Station near Quartz Lake. But Army Corps of Engineers project manager Beth Astley says the contractor couldn’t remove contamination that had reached groundwater and spread.

The 8-inch pipeline transported fuel 626 miles from Haines to Fairbanks from 1954 until it was shut down in 1973.

“There’s a fairly large plume of contamination in the groundwater there,” she said.

…

For the entire article, see
http://fm.kuac.org/post/after-cleanup-old-fuel-pipeline-facility-agency-monitor-leftover-contamination

Executive Director