2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 21:40:20 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: "Looking towards the future at [former Chanute Air Force Base, IL]"

Looking towards the future at Chanute

By Andrew Dunham
Smile Politely (IL)
March 1, 2018

Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) is a strategic process enacted by the US Military to streamline resources in the form of shedding bases deemed to be unnecessary, especially following the Cold War. This process allows for better equipment and resources at centralized locations and returns the land of redundant facilities to their respective locales. Since the program began, over 350 installations, many from wartime building booms, have been closed to varying levels of success. Our local Chanute Air Force Base was part of the first round of proposed closures in 1988, eventually leading to its 1993 decommissioning.

One memory from my childhood I have is playing in a lacrosse tournament in middle school at a former air base: the Glenview Naval Air Station, which closed in 1995, about 15 years before I played lacrosse there. When I played there, I never knew it was once a base, it was a town unto itself called The Glen. Houses, shops, schools, churches, lakes and parks now cover the vast former airfield. Similar examples exist outside of Orlando, Denver, and San Diego. Atlanta’s Fort McPherson is also planned to undergo a similar reintegration into civilian society. So why not Chanute? Why are parts of Rantoul’s Chanute AFB still vacant and decaying?

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.smilepolitely.com/culture/looking_towards_the_future_at_chanute/

Executive Director