2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 20:38:48 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: "A century after WWI, munitions still making way onto beaches"

A century after WWI, munitions still making way onto beaches

By WAYNE PARRY
Associated Press
March 30, 2018

MANTOLOKING, N.J. (AP) — A century after World War I ended, discarded munitions from that and other wars continue to make their way onto beaches around the country.

Items ranging from tiny fuses to full-scale mines are displaced by beach replenishment projects, sucked from the ocean floor and pumped ashore, or by strong storms that uncover them.

The most recent discovery came earlier this month when seven WWI rifle grenades were found on the beach in Mantoloking, New Jersey, which is undergoing a beach replenishment project to undo damage from Superstorm Sandy more than five years ago.

Many of the items were simply dumped overboard at the end of World Wars I and II; others remain from military drills or target practice. They've been discovered in at least 16 states from New Jersey to Hawaii.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.newser.com/article/e2df5493651b486a87965d23f1c55869/a-century-after-wwi-munitions-still-making-way-onto-beaches.html

Executive Director