2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:22:33 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FUEL, PESTICIDES, FORMER SITES: Army Corps halts cleanup near Birch Lake (AK)

Corps of Engineers Halts Cleanup after Workers Discover Buried DDT-tainted Junk

By TIM ELLIS
KUAC Public Radio (AK)
June 22, 2018

The Army Corps of Engineers last fall halted cleanup of fuel-tainted soil near Birch Lake, about 60 miles south of Fairbanks, when workers uncovered buried junk that included barrels with residues of a different contaminant – the banned pesticides DDT and chlordane

Cleanup project manager Beth Astley says contractor workers discovered the junk while excavating soil contaminated by leaky fuel-storage tanks in an area that’s now part of the Birch Lake State Recreation Site.

Birch Lake is located just off the Richardson Highway about 60 miles southeast of Fairbanks.

“We ran into some trash, some buried metal, some drums that were empty,” she said. “And when we got to some rusted-out cans of insecticide that were labeled as containing DDT, we stopped.”

Astley says Anchorage-based Bristol Environmental Remediation Services had to stop excavating the site because its contract called for removal of soil contaminated by fuel.

…

For the entire article, see
http://fm.kuac.org/post/corps-engineers-halts-cleanup-after-workers-discover-buried-ddt-tainted-junk

Executive Director