2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 22:43:52 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "EPA urged to set national, enforceable standard for PFAS in drinking water"

EPA urged to set national, enforceable standard for PFAS in drinking water

by Melissa Nann Burke
Detroit News (MI)
September 6, 2018

Washington — Experts and lawmakers told a U.S. House panel Thursday that federal regulators should act to set a national, enforceable standard to deal with drinking-water contamination by a potentially harmful class of fluorinated chemicals known as PFAS.

The current health advisory level of 70 parts per trillion set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 2016 can't be used to enforce cleanups or regulate the chemicals' use, they said.

"I know we all keep asking the same question, but I think what's got everybody worried is we need to change the national standard for what is a safe level," U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Dearborn, told an EPA official.

"How do we create that sense of urgency that cuts through bureaucracy and keeps Americans safe drinking their water?"

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/06/pfas-contamination-hearing-congress/1205045002/

Executive Director