2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 15:55:23 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] GLOBAL, REALIGNMENT: "New governor vows all-out efforts to block base move within Okinawa, " Japan

New governor vows all-out efforts to block base move within Okinawa

Japan Today
October 5, 2018

New Okinawa GovDenny Tamaki said Thursday he will dedicate all his strength to trying to block the Japan-U.S. plan to relocate a key American military facility within the southern island prefecture.

"With my whole mind and body, I will do my best to achieve the return (of the land occupied by) the Futenma base as early as possible and halt the construction of a new base in Henoko," Tamaki said in a press conference to mark the beginning of his four-year term.

The radio personality-turned-politician won Sunday's gubernatorial election with a pledge to stop the controversial plan to move U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Futenma from a crowded residential area of Ginowan to the less populated coastal district of Henoko in Nago, both in Okinawa.

…

For the entire article, see
https://japantoday.com/category/politics/new-governor-vows-all-out-efforts-to-block-base-move-within-okinawa

See also https://theecologist.org/2018/oct/01/us-military-bases-okinawa-threaten-people-and-ecosystems