2019 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 08:00:49 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "Firefighting foam leaves toxic legacy in Californians’ drinking water"

Firefighting foam leaves toxic legacy in Californians’ drinking water

by DAVID S. CLOUD, ANNA M. PHILLIPS, TONY BARBOZA
Los Angeles Times (CA)
October 8, 2019

SACRAMENTO -  It was a Sunday tradition at Bethany Slavic Missionary Church. After morning services, Florin Ciuriuc joined the line of worshipers waiting to fill their jugs with gallons of free drinking water from a well on the property, a practice church leaders had encouraged.

“I take it for my office every week,” said Ciuriuc, a 50-year-old Romanian immigrant and a founding member of the largely Russian-speaking church, which claims 7,000 congregants.

Church leaders boasted it was the cleanest water in Sacramento, according to Ciuriuc. In fact, test results showed the water contained toxic chemicals from firefighting foam used for decades on a now-shuttered Air Force base a mile away. Church leaders say they did not understand their well was contaminated.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-10-08/firefighting-foam-leaves-toxic-legacy-california-water

Executive Director