2019 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "Congress must ban Teflon chemical incineration"

Congress must ban Teflon chemical incineration

Opinion by Lois Gibb
Columbus Dispatch
October 22, 2019

Forty years ago, when the news cameras arrived to Niagara Falls to film the pollution crisis happening in my neighborhood, I had no clue a group of women in upstate New York eventually would spark a national movement. As a young mother, I discovered my family was living next to a former Hooker Chemical waste site — shocked my child’s school’s playground was atop the toxic waste and that my family was breathing contaminated air.

…

However, the problem is much worse for people living downstream from military bases and industrial sites. Millions of mothers have the same fear I did — that they’ve passed these chemicals to their children, during pregnancy, nursing or mixing bottles with contaminated tap water. They need Congress to step in to put an end to this reckless pattern because the Trump administration and corporations won’t.

Now, because of this massive toxic buildup, the military is sending PFAS foams to waste incinerators across the country, especially in low-income communities. While it once was Love Canal, it is now places like East Liverpool, Ohio, that keep me awake.

…

For the entire column, see
https://www.dispatch.com/opinion/20191022/column-congress-must-ban-teflon-chemical-incineration

Executive Director