2022 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 11:02:20 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "Seymour Johnson Air Force Base Contaminates the Neuse River and the Goldsboro, North Carolina Region with PFAS"

Seymour Johnson Air Force Base Contaminates the Neuse River and the Goldsboro, North Carolina Region with PFAS

By Pat Elder
Military Poisons
March 24, 2022

Bobby Jones has been fishing on the Neuse River since he was a young boy but he doesn’t fish in the river anymore because he says the fish are poisoned. It’s a hell of a thing.

Bobby says PFAS are bad, but it’s only part of a larger story of the contamination of the Neuse River and its fish.

The four of us met, along with my brother Mike, at the local Starbucks over a cup of coffee and blueberry muffins. We  discussed exactly where to collect samples of the Neuse River as close as we could get to the careless use of fire-fighting foam near Building 4735 on the Seymour Johnson Air Force Base. These pursuits are always logistical challenges.  Obviously, we wanted to get as close as we could get to documented releases of the carcinogens on base.

We knew from Air Force reports that the groundwater flow direction at the “Aqueous Film-Forming Foam Area 4” near Building 4735 was to the southeast toward the Neuse River. This is the epicenter of PFAS releases in the Wayne County region.  We also knew surface waters from the base emptied into the river.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.militarypoisons.org/latest-news/seymour-johnson-air-force-base-contaminates-the-neuse-river-and-the-goldboro-north-carolina-region-with-pfas

—