2001 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Feb 2001 00:35:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] EPA Public Involvement Policy

[I don't think we've announced this yet. And I'm sorry for the duplicate
posting to both our Brownfields and Military lists. - LS]

U.S. EPA is seeking public comments on its Draft 2000 Public Involvement
Policy through April 27, 2001. The Policy, published in the December 28,
2000 Federal Register, will provide guidance and direction to EPA
officials on effective means to involve the public in its regulatory and
program decisions. The Draft Policy was developed based on
recommendations in "Engaging the American People: A Review of EPA's
Public Participation Policy and Regulations with Recommendations for
Action."

When final, the Policy will apply to all EPA programs, including such
activities as rulemaking for significant regulations, permit issuance or
modification, selection of plans for cleanup of hazardous waste sites,
and other significant policy decisions. The Policy will not replace
public participation requirements established by existing laws or
regulations, but it will supplement those requirements and enable EPA to
implement them in the most effective ways.

All EPA programs and regional offices will implement the Policy when it
is finalized. In the interim, EPA will be applying the Policy as
internal guidance. PLEASE NOTE: EPA is soliciting comment on how best to
encourage states, tribes and local governments that implement delegated
programs to adopt similar policies.

The new Draft Policy is based on an earlier policy issued in 1981 that
was never fully implemented. The new Policy parallels the old one,
except that it addresses many changes that have occurred since 1981. It
also reflects comments sent to EPA in response to a November 30, 1999
Federal Register notice.

Call Loretta Schumacher at 202-260-3096 for printed copies of the Draft
Policy or request e-mail copies from kahn.lisa@epa.gov. Or check out
http:www.epa.gov/stakeholders/policy.htm.

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org