2004 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Jun 2004 05:41:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Hillcrest Vapor Intrusion

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caaciqSaVxieRa8xCZRa/Children's Int'l

Company agrees to clean up pollution

Hillcrest residents meet with state officials

BY TOM WILBER
Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin (NY)
May 3, 2004

State officials hope plans by a metal-plating company to clean
underground pollution will help reduce the impact on nearby homes in
Hillcrest, where industrial solvents are entering through basements.

About 75 residents heard this and other news at a meeting Wednesday
night at the Chenango Bridge Elementary School, Chenango Bridge. The
meeting was organized by the state departments of health and
environmental conservation to address pollution issues in the
industrialized suburb of about 2,700 people.

The state agencies have been researching the neighborhood since 1999
after six children developed cancer, but have yet to find a cause for
the illnesses. Testing earlier this year found trichloroethylene, or
TCE, in air samples inside 13 homes, and in three outdoor air samples.
The chemical is linked to cancer in people exposed to enough of it.

At least three homes will be offered special vents, similar to radon
systems, to keep TCE out of basements. That number could grow, with more
testing planned throughout the year to determine the scope and
parameters of the pollution.

for the entire article, see
http://www.pressconnects.com/today/news/stories/ne060304s94704.shtml

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1aVxieRa8xCZRf/UOP