1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 1995 10:53:34 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Introduction

I am a cofounder of a group called Valley Citizens for a Safe
Environment. The group has been pestering officials at Westover ARB in
Chicopee, MA, since they decided to bring C-5A cargo jets here in 1986.

Westover is currently switching from a Technical Review Committee to a
RAB and I am very concerned with holding them to the mandated
procedures, especially because we know the base commander specifically
postponed this transition. So far, the base seems to be maneuvering to
make the RAB a TRC by another name. They are not shy about saying how
well they felt the TRC was working- it was working well for them because it
had virtually no connection with the community affected.

Any advice for approaching a first RAB meeting? My inclination is to not
let them present specific data and remedial plans until they comply with
procedure. I am not, for instance, happy that the first meeting is to be
held in the Wing Command room of the base; hardly neutral territory.

Thanks for your work.

Sincerely, David Keith <dbkGU@hamp.hampshire.edu>