1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: pbloom@soils.umn.edu
Date: 03 Feb 1995 08:28:19
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Information Request: Treated water

Posting from "Paul Bloom" <pbloom@soils.umn.edu>

In message <APC&1'0'8af964f5'd56@igc.org> Conference "cpro.military" writes:
> I am working on a site where treated water is being injected into potable
> supplies. Does anyone know of other instances where this is occuring?
> Has there been resistance on the part of the community? What standards are b
>
> being used? What have been effective strategies on behalf of the
> community to halt this remedy?
>
> Thanks for any information.
> Peter

The cleanup of TCE contaminated ground water at the Twin City Army Ammunition
Plant, New Brighton MN (a St. Paul suburub) involves activated carbon cleanup
and utilization of the by the local community, and eventully by a nearby
community. To my knowledge there as been little community resistance. In fact,
the nearby community, Fridley, was convinced to take the water even though their
wells were not affected by the plume and they have the have adequate good
quality water avialable. I really don't know much of the details.

The Dept. of the Army onsite group can be contacted at:
Twin City Army Ammunition Plant
 New Brighton MN 55112-5700
(612)633-2301

Paul Bloom

Paul R. Bloom Phone: 612-625-4711
Department of Soil Science Fax: 612-625-2208
University of Minnesota e-mail: pbloom@soils.umn.edu
1991 Upper Buford Circle
St.Paul MN 55108