1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Laura Olah" <olah@speagle.com>
Date: 07 Apr 1997 15:34:37
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Early Public Participation Under NEPA?

ARE THERE OPPORTUNITIES FOR EARLY PUBLIC PARTICIPATION UNDER NEPA?

Background:
Army Ammunition Plant and community pressure for an Environmental Impact
Study, the USEPA Region V and the US Army have had lengthy telephone
discussions,exchanged considerable written correspondence, and have had
at least one face-to-face meeting.

Our Request:
On March 11, our community group requested public participation in
any further meetings between the USEPA and the US Army to discuss the
potential for the development of an EIS. Specifically, our letter said:
 "We believe in a citizen's right to know and the right to participate
in the protection of human health and the environment. Therefore, in
the interest of promoting an open, inclusive process, we request any
further meetings or discussion include the community. We look forward
to your response and to expanding the current dialogue between Agencies
to include the community - the people that will be affected by decisions
at the Badger facility."

The USEPA's response:
"...our Agencies (USEPA and the US Army) agree that public involvement
in the NEPA process is very important and should a DPEIS (Draft
Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement) be prepared, there will be
a formal public comment period."

Question:
UNDER NEPA LAW, IS THIS THE ONLY OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC INPUT?
[Please site your source in your response if you can.]

Thanks for your help,
Laura Olah
Executive Director, CSWAB
olah@speagle.com