2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 16:48:40 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Camp Hale ordnance cleanup may take years

Camp Hale ordnance cleanup may take years

By Steve Lipsher
Denver Post Mountain Bureau

Sunday, February 24, 2002 - LEADVILLE - Cleanup of potentially deadly
World War II-era ordnance being discovered around Camp Hale could take
10 years or more, and federal funding of the project is uncertain,
authorities disclosed at public-information meetings last week.

"If I had to guess right now, I would say 10 years from now we're still
addressing some of the lower-priority areas," said Jeff Swanson, project
manager for the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

And because the cleanup money comes from the underfunded Formerly Used
Defense Sites program of the Department of Defense, even immediate
efforts aren't guaranteed beyond this year, Swanson told a gathering at
the Delaware Hotel in Leadville.

"Every year, more and more sites are identified around the country, and
there's not more money going into the program every year," he said.

The complete story may be viewed at:
HTTP://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,53%257E422806,00.html