2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Apr 2002 21:07:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ASTSWMO Letter

The following letter concerning the Sustainable Defense Readiness and
Environmental Protection Act (SDREPA) was sent to state officials
earlier this week:

The Honorable W.J. "Billy" Tauzin
Chairman
The Committee on Energy and Commerce
2125 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-6115

The Honorable John D. Dingell
Ranking Minority Member
The Committee on Energy and Commerce
2322 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-6115

April 16, 2002

Dear Massrs:

It is our understanding that there is an emerging Department of Defense
proposal for modification of a number of basic environmental statutes
designed to provide relief from certain requirements in order to
facilitate military training.  The purpose of this letter is to request
the assistance of the leadership of the House Energy and Commerce
Committee in ensuring that there is a thorough review of this proposal
by each Congressional committee with jurisdiction over these
environmental statutes.  By a thorough review we mean legislative
hearings with opportunity for testimony by knowledgeable, expert
witnesses representing all sides of the debate, who can assist the
Congress in assessing the trade-offs and costs of the proposal.

The Association of State and Territorial Solid Waste Management
Officials (ASTSWMO) is a non-profit, non-partisan organization made up
of State employees who are responsible for the hazardous waste, solid
waste, cleanup and remediation, and underground storage tanks programs
of the States and Territories of the U.S.  Our members generally have
engineering and science backgrounds, and implement both delegated
federal waste and cleanup programs, as well as parallel State programs.
They have hundreds of years of collective experience in expert program
implementation and believe that it is their obligation to share their
professional views with members of Congress with the responsibility for
decisions affecting our national environmental statutory framework.

We have examined an early draft of the "Sustainable Defense Readiness
and Environmental Protection Act" (SDREPA) that we understand to be
under development by DoD.  Insofar as it addresses the hazardous waste
regulatory and cleanup implications of the Resource Conservation
Recovery Act/Solid Waste Disposal Act and the Comprehensive
Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, we have
substantial concerns with the current wording.  Understanding the
motivations of the drafters to seek greater flexibility for military
training, we believe that it provides insufficient protections for
citizens and the environment following implementation of these requested
relief provisions.  Our central point is that fundamental changes like
these should not be made with a legislative vehicle developed by and for
defense authorizations or appropriations.

We view this proposal from the historical perspective that past military
operations have left a legacy of contamination that will take billions
of dollars and several decades to deal with.  Consequently, we are very
reluctant to amend sound environmental statutes in ways that could open
the door to new releases to the environment.  In the past DoD has
continually maintained that it has seen compliance and protection of
natural resources as part of its national security mission, but it is
difficult to reconcile these kinds of fundamental and far reaching
changes to environmental statutes with those representations.  Our
experience is that delaying cleanup and compliance with hazardous waste
laws only increases the eventual cost and difficulty of cleanups.  We
took DoD's promise of its intent to become a model of environmental
compliance seriously, and we think that any changes made to enhance
military readiness must be accomplished without damage to that goal.

Statutory changes that will affect environmental impacts on populations
and the environment should be made in the same environmental arena where
those statutes were created and debated.  For that reason, we urge you
to exercise your jurisdiction over these proposed modifications, conduct
hearings, take diverse testimony, and make the final judgments about the
efficacy of these changes with full input, debate and understanding of
their long-term effects on the country.  Like all good citizens, we too
want to see military training enhanced and improved, and we are willing
to subject our analysis and suggested adjustments to the full range of
public dialogue.  We believe the potential consequences of this
legislation are of such significance that all parties should be willing
to undergo this same scrutiny.

We are confident that with full analysis and debate, appropriate
modifications can be found and made to allow attainment of maximum force
readiness without long-term cost to the nation's environment and the
safety of its citizens.  We trust that you will seek such a course of
legislative balance as this DoD proposal is eventually introduced to
Congress.  Thank you for considering this request and for your continued
interest in our national environment.
									Sincerely,

	Mark P. Giesfeldt
	ASTSWMO President

[A .PDF VERSION OF THIS LETTER CAN BE ACCESSED AT:
http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/otherpubs.html]