2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: UTOSI-Hdqrs@kc.rr.com
Date: 2 May 2002 17:26:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Sprawl Threatens Operation of Arizona's Luke AFB

"Lenny the problem is much deeper. We are running out of bases where you can move a flight operation without stepping on someone's environmental toes. It does make a difference how much time it takes to get to a training area and whether you use live rounds or dummy rounds. Training in virtual reality is good but nothing like being in the real environment. More importantly as we draw down to fewer bases more and more people lose a personal connection with our military. That is not good. With less direct contact people become even more ignorant of the military. I'm always amazed at the people who think it is like *M*A*S*H* or any number of the movies that project and promote mere caricatures of the military. Fewer get the benefits of the having an installation near by - and yes there are lots of benefits beyond money."

Outstanding post Wayne. We could always bring back the "Draft" and sent all of them to "Afghanistan" for "On-the-Job-Training". Then we would see how long the virtual PC would last.

-Jim Oyler, old combat vet.