2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 May 2002 20:31:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Sprawl Threatens Operation of Arizona's Luke AFB

[POSTED BY Wayne Crist (WCRIST@kennesaw.Lawco.com)]

Lenny the problem is much deeper.

We are running out of bases where you can move a flight operation
without stepping on someone's environmental toes.  It does make a
difference how much time it takes to get to a training area and whether
you use live rounds or dummy rounds.  Training in virtual reality is
good but nothing like being in the real environment.  More importantly
as we draw down to fewer bases more and more people lose a personal
connection with our military. That is not good. With less direct contact
people become even more ignorant of the military.  I'm always amazed at
the people who think it is like *M*A*S*H* or any number of the movies
that project and promote mere caricatures of the military.  Fewer get
the benefits of the having an installation near by - and yes there are
lots of benefits beyond money.

Installations are at the same time a burden.  One that every one should
share since everyone shares the protection they provide.  Why should the
military installation be treated like a step child that is pushed
farther and farther away?

I have been reading email from this group for more than 5 years and not
once have I heard any constructive suggestions on how the military can
perform their mission and stay in an area.

In 1974 work began to protect Arizona's air base, you can see how far
they have gotten.

Wayne Crist
Environmental Communications Consultant