2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Jul 2002 16:44:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Navy's training is essential

Posted on: Tuesday, July 9, 2002

ISLAND VOICES
Navy's training is essential

By Adm. Walter F. Doran
Commander in chief, Pacific Fleet

In the coming months, Congress will decide on a number of small, but
important changes to our country's environmental laws. The intent of
these changes is to improve the balance between the necessity to conduct
vital Navy training operations and compliance with environmental
standards.

Contrary to statements by some environmental lobbyists, the Navy does
not seek to weaken the laws that protect our maritime environment. On
the contrary, the proposed changes will clarify ambiguous language in
the laws and in so doing help the Navy to more effectively conduct its
training operations while remaining a good steward of the maritime
environment.

This article can be viewed in its entirety at:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Jul/09/op/op04a.html