2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: petestrauss1@attbi.com
Date: 10 Jul 2002 21:20:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Wildfire burning in Camp Hale--WW II UXO site

Lenny:

I don't have an answer to your question, but since I deal with Lawrence
Livermore National Lab, we raised a similar question in a recent public
hearing.  DOE's response was weak: that extensive fire management
activities took place at the site (i.e., controlled burns), contaminants
were all contained and we should not worry.

Two years ago, there was an extensive fire at Los Alamos resulting from
a controlled burn, and there was a fire at Hanford where elevated levels
of plutonium were emitted. These incidents, together with your posting,
seem to beg for a policy re: when and where federal land management
agencies with extremely hazardous materials on site can ask for
assistance from local firefighters, or must be required to fund their
own firefighting crew. This is not only a current problem, but if these
materials are left on-site after the facility is closed, becomes a
serious long-term management issue.

Peter