2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: Former Alameda Naval Air Station (CA)

Former Navy base focus of development fight

Carolyn Jones
San Francisco Chronicle
August 24, 2009

Development battles are as much a part of Alameda as poplar trees, kids on bikes and restored Victorians.

First there was the fight over bay fill in the 1950s that led to South Shore Shopping Center. Then, in 1973, came Measure A, which banned multiunit homes. And now, Alameda's development battleground has shifted to the western edge of the island, where the city, developers and residents are brawling over the former Navy base.

"The base had a huge impact on Alameda. But its closure is having an even bigger impact," said Diane Coler-Dark, president of the Alameda Museum. "We were supposed to be some shining example of how the base could close and jobs could be created. After 12 years, we're still waiting."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/24/BA52194I6N.DTL