2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: themissinglink@eznetinc.com
Date: 31 Jan 2002 18:13:53 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] DU Munitions

Susan Gawarecki states that being a scientist is the defining criteria
for determining acceptable cleanup standards.

This is such an egocentric view of the world.  While no one is
suggesting that we ignore science, the making of public policy is best
left to the stakeholders at large and not a small elite group of experts
in one particular aspect.  There are very few environmental activists
who are scientists as a percentage of all activists.  It is an issue of
seeing the forest from the trees.  Scientists generally put a microscope
to the issue placed in front of them while the activist/philosopher is
the one presenting the problem to the scientist.  Neither one can solve
the entire issue without the other.

How this relates to DU in particular is that there are measurable risks
associated with DU, your conclusion is just that these risks are in the
"acceptable range".  That is not for you to decide as a scientist, it is
just your job to provide the measurable results.  The stakeholders are
the ones to decide what is acceptable.

Further, there is a political issue in that even if you are correct that
the risk should be accepted by the stakeholders, what is the perception
of the enemy on the use of DU?  We think it is barbaric that our enemy
might consider using anthrax, smallpox, nuclear, etc weapons against us
and the Geneva Convention was produced to place limits on how far
someone can go even in times of war.  But what if the enemy feels that
our use of DU and the bombing of chemical plants then justifies their
ignoring these conventions against us?  The arrogance of the DOD in
saying that the the only criteria to be used in determining warfighting
methodology is the safety of the soldier ignores this exceedingly
important issue.  Al Qaida appearantly does not feel restrained in the
use of environmental weapons against us and while they may be beyond the
reason of our diplomats they might have been contained by countries like
Iraq who would fear our
escalation of methods.

This is a political and not a military consideration.

United States civilians do have a say in the moral issues surrounding
the warfighting methods of our military because it also affects the
standards used by our enemy.  You just can't use everything in your
arsenal anymore because the enemy is quickly gaining the same weapons.

Steven Pollack