2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Jul 2004 17:36:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Camp Bonneville cleanup

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacoW6aVxieSbnA7rua/MyDietPatches

Submitted by Christine Sutherland <gosutherland@hotmail.com>

As a RAB member for Camp Bonneville, I am very pleased to see actual
shovel  to dirt remediation.  Tetra Tech has the contract for this
landfill/demolition site, excavating 3 feet, (projected 15 foot dig)  to
 date yielding 400 munitions and explosives of concern, 3,400 munitions
constituents, civil war era Burton projectile, a Sparrow air-to-air
missile,  and a chemical warfare Gas I.D. Kit, among other.

For the CAIS "PIG" found, we have now met the criteria for the
"Non-Stockpile" list.  (Including shipments from Presidio of San
Francisco  and Edgewood, Maryland)  We were not listed due to lack of
tangible  evidence.

The above mentioned 'surprise' missile, found so far, had a green band
around one end of the cylinder causing an immediate shut-down of the
excavation and a middle of the night Fort Lewis Washington team to
stabilize  and evaluate the scene.  Turned out to be a practice round.
Our Archive Search Report exhibits a single index card copied at the end
of  a string of approx. 20 unrelated CWS entries, undated, simply
stating  "Requesting shipment of chemical ammunition."  Camp Bonneville
had numerous  foreign military's train, undocumented to BRAC, firing
"all over the  installation" one range officer notes.  Mustard Training
Area, undiscovered,  supported over 50,000 troops for some 18 outlying
Class I installations in  the 40's.  Air Force, FBI, National Guard Tank
Battalion, Local Law  Enforcement-- no documentation.  No investigations.

I joined the RAB 3 years ago to participate in the development of a park
 close enough for my kids to walk to, today I have a very different
view.   This data demonstrates the precariousness and latent hazards
that encompass  this 95 year old site.  Until we have responsible
technology that can  restore our entire site to endure the current
intensive regional park reuse  plan, we shall not permit innocence to
play within the boundaries of the  unknown.

Christine Sutherland
Camp Bonneville, Vancouver, WA. Restoration Advisory Board

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgwaVxieSbnA7ruf/DiscoverCard